Re: [ST] Wiring Loom - Help ID some connectors...?

>From: Gavin Lawrie
>Does anyone know what these three connections are for on my 2003
>ST ... (see photo here - http://lawrie.smugmug.com/gallery/1365207 -
>connectors ringed on photo).

It looks like a homemade set of connectors. You could find out
how they are switched by holding a voltmeter against the wire
(I guess one of those screwdrivers with lights in them for
electrical work can do the trick as well) and see what it
does with the ignition on/off, lights on/off etc. Voltmeters
are very cheap and simple to use even if you don't understand
the numbers... zero volt is no juice :-).

I guess the rear light is a good place to tap off switched power,
you can also decide to just place a relay switch in there. Then
run a wire (with seperate fuse) from the battery over that relay
on which you can then safely hang any accessories. That way a short
in your GPS / autocom / heated gear will not disable your rear light,
it will be easier to identify and fix and you'll be sure you can
run multiple (heavy) electronics without frying your wire loom.

Another source for switched power is the accessory wire for the
Triumph heated grips. If you are not using heated grips already,
that connector will be hanging loose and unconnected somewhere
behind your left headlight (I believe).

If you like a more step by step for the plugs, tools and stuff
needed, let me know. BTW, I believe the yellow wire that comes
from / to the rear light connector is the power for the rear light.
Black is the ground, green is probably for the brake light:
http://piloot.smugmug.com/gallery/412667/1/16495750
My mechanic used it to connect the pro-oiler system for power (for
the controller and electrical pump, via junction box).

Emile
www.piloot.com