Re: [ST] Counter Rotating Brakes

On 17 Apr 2006, at 18:18, Steve Lawler wrote:

> I always assumed that air brakes used pressurized air to retract the
> pistons. Thus when you loose air pressure the wheels lock up. IIRC,
> back
> when I had my Class 2 license, on trucks equipped w/ air brakes I
> would
> have to let the pressure build up before I could release the
> parking brake.
>
> Then there is that Bugs Bunny cartoon when he stops the airplane in a
> nose dive inches from the ground by applying the air brakes.
>
> OTOH maybe the air brakes that you speak of are what they use in
> Congress.

Different kind of air brakes.  I was thinking of the flaps /
parachutes used to slow down very high speed bikes (like on planes).
As I understand it, the air brakes you mention are simply power
assisted conventional brakes (like in many / most cars).  There are
two systems - those that lock up when pressure is lost, and those
that don't.  Don't know which type trucks use - but know that on
railways the most common type is the one that locks up when there is
a failure.

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie