Re: [ST] for Brett - fuel economy

On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:01 PM, halfast3 wrote:

>> Studies have been done on this in Australia and found that petrol is
> being sold at near explosive temps in some cases causing it to expand
> by as much as 20%.

Seems pretty urban legend to me. I don't know about Australia, but in
America most gas stations have their tanks underground where the
temperature is stable and probably going to be the low fiftys. To heat
the whole tank would take a lot of energy, not to mention how would you
get access to it?

I suppose you could rig up something that would heat it at the pump,
but it doesn't seem like that would get past the pump inspectors.

I have heard you should by your gas in the morning as you'll get more,
but again if the tanks are underground, the temperature isn't going to
rise or fall much.

I buy my gas when the fuel light goes on and don't give it another
thought.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned