Re: [ST] Counter Rotating Brakes

On Apr 17, 2006, at 9:33 AM, JUSTIN SHREAVES wrote:

> Good idea, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of gears being tied in
> with my front wheel. If a transmission lockes up, there rear skids,
> and will usually lead to a low side or a safe stop, even if the rear
> tire is flat spotted. But the front you have no control.

Seems like an awful lot of unsprung weight. I'm no physicist but it
also seams like if you have the wheel rotating in one direction there a
gyroscopic effect on the axle. Rotating the disc in the opposite
direction seems like it would also have a gyroscopic effect. It seems
like it would be additive rather than that they would cancel each other
out.

Personally I like bikes that you have to muscle a bit anyways, and I'm
all for simplicity. Adding all those moving parts to my front wheel, no
thanks.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned