[ST] Emile discussion

-----Original Message-----
From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Emile Nossin
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 8:56 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Counter Rotating Brakes

>From: Masiak, Richard
>So then the question is, if you counter precession with a mass rotating
>in the opposite direction and approach zero does that mean the motorcycle
>is now going to steer like a car at speed?

>>Thank you Matt H for the cue :-).

<<SNIP>>
Remember you can drag pegs even at really low speed:
http://piloot.smugmug.com/photos/21016258-L-1.jpg
This lean angle is still accomplished with countersteering, there
won't be much handlebar force needed for it.
<<SNIP>>

I disagree.  The low speed lean (peg dragging) turn in the pic is not done with countersteering IF counter steering is what I think.  That is: When turning the bike left (at speed), the front of the front tire is pointing to the right and the opposite  for turning the bike left.  Countersteering, I thought, is pointing the wheel in the opposite direction or counter that of the turn/lean.

If that is true then the low speed pic has the front of the front tire pointing left while turning left which is not countersteering.

<<SNIP>>.
Rereading your question I'm actually not sure I understood it
completely... you mean if a bike with counterrotating brakes
rides slow, will it ride like a car driving fast as in force
needed, or just like a car in general (no lean)?
<<SNIP>>

I meant "just like a car" meaning like the pic.  Turning the front of the front tire in the same direction as the turn when going faster than the person in your pic.

But now I understand that since presession is the force acting in opposition to the actual countersteer, lightening it will require less energy from us to countersteer but countersteering must still happen.  It is not physically possible to turn a bike by steering/pointing the front end of the front tire in the direction you want to go when going faster.  By cancelling the precession forces countersteering can happen with much less effort.

Thanks.