Re: [ST] Emile discussion w/Rich (about counter rotating brakes)

>From: Masiak, Richard
>Are you sure about that?  If I'm not mistaken, when I want to turn my
>bike left I push on my left handle bar. Doesn't that in turn make the
>front wheel point to the right thus making the bike lean over to the left?

Yep.. I thought that's what I said too.

>Now what you are saying, and I've seen other descriptions say the same, is
>that the bike is going in the direction pointed to by the front wheel. But
>that contradicts the pushing on the left handle bar to turn left idea.
>But I know that's exactly what I do.  So what am I missing here?

Ehmm... let's just say it's not so black and white. Ride straight, turn
bar left, bike goes left while falling over right, while falling over to
right the bar and front wheel will fall and turn (due to precession and trail)
also to the right. If you hold this moment off, it will keep on banking / falling
more and more. Once in the bank the front wheel will stay pointed towards
direction of turn. In the countersteering process the bike is not really
in the turn yet, it's merely banking. Only once the lean is set in, the wheel
will point towards the turn, which also prevents it from falling over more.
Is that more clear like that?

>Consciously try it today.  Drive down the road at a safe speed and push on the
>left handle bar.  I'll bet the bike starts over left.  Push on the right handle
>bar.  I'll bet the bike starts over right.  Note the direction the front wheel
> is pointing.  I'll bet it's pointing opposite the turn/lean.

Yes, WHILE you are rolling towards the lean it will be pointing the way you
pushed it (so indeed opposite of the turn that will follow shortl after!).
Practice it on a curve or on a parking lot though. Because once the lean is
stable, the front wheel will always point towards the direction of turn / circle.
So there is a CHANGE of direction of the front wheel in the whole banking process.

Emile
www.piloot.com