[ST] ST, tank slapper?

my '01 was a beautifully behaved ride for 38,000 miles. it was all shined up
ready to be traded for a shiny '06 Tiger as soon as it came in. then on a
warm day in early February i rode to work to keep the battery up, etc.

when i left work - as i have literally a thousand times on that bike - i
went around the right hander at the end of the frontage road, and hit the
brake for the tight left at the stop sign. the front wheel slipped just a
bit, so i let off the brake [i was not pushing this turn, didn't touch a
peg, etc.]. i was 98% around this turn, nearly vertical, on my side of the
road.

the steering gave a little head shake, the front wheel hooked, and i got
high sided in a heartbeat. i remember hitting the pavement [ouch...], then
watching the shiny ST slide by. i thought, 'darlin, i was gonna trade you
in...'. but alas it found a pole at the corner and wadded up a total.

six ribs cracked, bone break in the right thumb, rasberries where i wasn't
wearing my Bohn undies. a call to State Farm. again.

contributing factors? cold tires, cold pavement, probably low inflation,
significant rider error, bad karma, retribution for being jilted...

yes, they will head shake.

pd

<...but I've never seen anything close to tank slapper on mine. Are you guys
getting pitched into the weeds all that often because of conventional
brakes? Do you really think these brakes are going to be quantum leaps in
steering, handling or braking???? As far as stability I can take both hands
off the bars at just about any speed (haven't tried over a 100mph)and go
straight as an arrow, so what is all this gyroscopic effect going to give
me???