Re: [ST] Canal crash, mean time at Greenwich and lots of liquid too! (Long) Part I

Steve I hope you didn't think my comments were directed at you, you did
everything right. I had several concerns about the level of help you
received (like not having scissors to cut your leathers). My comments
were intended for those who might find themselves in your shoes in the
future.

By the way, there is no way a ride on a backboard is going to be
comfortable. In my EMT training, we had to get strapped to one with
full C-Collar and everything. Even with nothing broken at the time it
was pretty unpleasant. I guess it's sort of like you have to get maced
before you're allowed to carry it. But no matter what your accident is,
the minute you mention back or neck pain, you're going for a ride on a
back board. It's uncomfortable at the least, but it's better than being
paralyzed.

Glad you're here to be able to tell us about it.

On Apr 27, 2006, at 10:02 AM, Steve Lawler wrote:

> In a previous email, Matt Knowles wrote:
>> If you're ever in this situation please cooperate with the EMT at this
>> point. If a bystander tries to remove your helmet though explain to
>> them that they must wait until a trained EMT does it.
>
> That was what I did. At first I thought it was a cop that wanted to
> remove the helmet. Turned out it was a FDNY EMT.
>

>> Also try not to complain if the EMTs have to cut your leathers off.
>> They're replaceable, you're not.
>
> Undoubtedly! At the scene I told the EMT "If you have to cut off the
> leathers, go ahead." He replied, "Thanks. I once had a guy swing at me
> when I went to cut off his."

Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707)
786-4643