[ST] Ride report, April 22

Saturday, April 22.
      I opened the door around 6:15 AM and was greeted by a sparkling
morning, very crisp, clear, and wonderful. I stepped out as Bird Dawg and
Ian were getting up and a couple of the Porsche boys were cleaning their
cars in anticipation of todayâs run. They plan on crossing the Talimena,
gassing in Mena, returning across the Talimena, and then partying in the
parking lot to be in good shape for Sundayâs trip back to Dallas / Fort
Worth.
      We loaded the bikes, fired them up, and Bird Dawg lead us east on
Highway 1 toward the Talimena. The morning was fresh and it just felt good
to be away and not worrying about anything except the rev counter and the
angle of attack entering corners.
      The Highway has long slow sweepers that start to tighten up as you
close on the entrance of the parkway. The road was clear and we dispatched
the seven miles quickly and turned right on the parkway. Bird Dawg pulled
over, followed by Ian, and then I pulled up and stopped without killing the
motor.
      Bird flipped up his shield and said âWell, I know you like to lead
across the parkway, do you want to leadâ.
      I did not answer, lowered my shield, clicked into first gear,
increased the revs, and started climbing with one quick glance to make sure
they got the memo that we were riding!
      What an awesome climb as the parkway rose and threw one turn after
another rat us from both directions. It was spectacular! One of the best
rides so far in several dozen of trips across and back on this same
wonderful road. The sides of the parkway were heavy with dew and the rising
sun made it sparkle in the cool morning air.
      The temperature dropped about ten degrees as we climbed and reached
the first overlook.
      A quick glance at the valley below stirred my soul and I had this big
grin and my face as we kept climbing and banking right and left. The motor
singing its sweet triple song through my ear plugs. Nothing but bliss and
everything else in the world is forgotten this day!
      What a view as the road rushes by with green and deeper green on each
side and that awesome view of the valleys on each side. The one on the
south was clear and bright while the one on the north was picture perfect
with only the mountain tops peaking through a thick layer of clouds.
      The bikes were performing great as we swept across the parkway
leaning into turn after turn. To say I was I the zone is on target as I
only used the brakes at three fifteen mph turns and just let the motor pull
me down, leaned the bike, and slowly rolled on throttle as the turns melted
away. Itâs amazing how many miles you can cover when you donât even care
because it is so much fun.
      OK, now I have to have a picture of that even when I know it cannot
give one the impact of the moment. I pulled over to the left at one of the
overlooks and got a nice shot of the peaks and clouds resting between them.
Man this is as good as it gets!
      Back at the corners and I begin to wish the road went on forever.
This is really good stuff and Iâm loving it.
      Before I knew it we get to the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge and then start
loosing altitude as we descend the ridge and the road tightens up. Great
turns about all across the parkway but one must stay alert as you enter the
last twelve miles on the Arkansas side as there are some decreasing radius
turns and their downhill.
      I again just let the bike rock along in third gear and she pulls us
down nicely to corner entry speed, roll on the throttle, repeat. Wonderful!
      Soon we are entering Mena, Arkansas and stop at the gas station in
the middle of town to refuel. Iâm excited and as I get off the bike I look
toward Bird Dawg and Ian and just start pumping my arms up and down while
doing a little dance, he just laughs as always and we both know this is
another of those special days. The price of gas is still twenty cents per
gallon cheaper here then in Texas.
      We stop at a McDonalds for a quick and cheap breakfast and Iâm loving
it. The breakfast too
      Bird Dawg then leads us north out of Mena on Highway 71 through Y
City where we get our first nice view of high bluffs on the left side of
the road as we cross the Mill Creek River.
      Another ten miles to Waldron and we take Business 71 to the right, go
about a mile, and then turn east on Highway 250.
      Going east on Highway 250 is another joy to behold as it roller
coaster effect is sometimes breathtaking. Itâs just farm land and the
mountains are somewhat off but it rolls and rolls as you zoom up and then
down with nice easy curves thrown in with the added bonus of no traffic.
      After thirteen mile we turn right onto Highway 80 and have a nice
thirty mile ride through Union Hill and Blue Ball to Danville. Nice road
again just like the majority of roads we take in Arkansas and they all have
that zero or low traffic benefit. At the stop sign we turn left off Highway
80 on to Highway 27 for the ride through town. No stop signs and no lower
than 45 MPH as we clear town.
      As we exit Danville we continue on north as Highway 27 turns right
and we are now on Highway 10. Highway 10 is nothing great but just a
country Highway with farmland on both sides. But the view is great as both
sides of the road are covered with brilliant yellow wildflowers. There is a
herd of dark colored cattle on the right that really stand out in the
yellow flowers and the mountains in the background on the left give you two
perfect views.
      Bird Dawg is leading at this point and he pulls off to the side of
the road. As I pull in he asks âWant to go back and take some picturesâ.
      I reply to fire up when you hear me coming and ease the bike around
and run up to red line through the first three gears and pass the point of
highest concentration of flowers, turn around, and pull beside the road. I
take about four shots and then pull off. As the bike hits 9,000 RPM I again
notice the dark cattle on the right, decelerate, stop, and shot another
couple of shots of the cattle and flowers. Later, when at the hotel Bird
Dawg states that he wished he has asked me to take a picture of the cows to
which I reply that I had. Maybe weâre been riding together too long?
      Bird says that he know I love the road up Mount Magazine and I lead
us onward to Havana where we turn north on Highway 309. I stopped us in the
middle of this very small town and take one shot of the bikes in front of
the old red brick building with the fading âBig Smithâ sign on it.
      I lead us around the block and we get back on Highway 309 and head
north to Mount Magazine.
      This is one of my top three roads in Arkansas and it is in better
shape than ever with new blacktop, no gravel, and perfect weather. But I
know why there is new paving and I fear this road is soon lost to us for
un-crowded nirvana.
      Man this Triumph Sprint ST rocks as the revs rise and fall as I sweep
my way up the south side of Mount Magazine. I could do this all day without
losing interest but soon that sharp left tells me I have made the summit.
      I pull the trigger in third gear, hit red line, let off and stop at
the overlook on the left side of the road.
      A perfectly clear morning and we point out the Boston Mountains to
the south for Ian and then take several shots.
      I lead us toward the new Mount Magazine Lodge which is very nice but
I fear will bring lots of vacationers to our almost private mountain.
      I then lead us down the more open turn north side of the mountain and
follow Highway 309 through Paris and on to Ozark.
      At Paris we stop for lunch at Rivertowne Bar-B-Que close to the river
in downtown. Great food and good prices are welcomed as we chow down to
pulled pork and brisket washed down with nice sweet tea. The waitress tells
us they are expecting around fifty Harley riders soon but we make our
escape as the Hogs start to arrive.
      We make a quick stop about two blocks away at the Railroad Depot
Museum on the river, go through, Bird Dawg helps the senior citizens work a
jig saw puzzle, and listen to a pretty funny joke from an eighty year old
woman.
      We saddle back up and head north to run the Pig Trail with Ian for
the first time.
      I lead us up the Pig Trail and all is going well and the ride is
great until we get behind a small red car that some young girl is pushing
for all itâs got trying to keep us at bay. Why some folks do this is beyond
me as you could tell she was over driving just to stay in front. But soon
that long five hundred foot straight let us all blast past and get the pace
up.
      No weâre setting a nice pace and making good time through a really
neat road with thick foliage on both sides and all matter of open, medium,
and tight switch backs.
Right after Brashears we come up behind a large truck, a van, and a normal
car all going about 40-45 mph. the truck keeps putting on its brakes, then
the van, then the car and weâre stuck. Iâm not too happy but then I see the
reason. One friggin Harley! The guy is going about 45 on the straight and
down to 35 in the turns with both arms up in the air to try and grab those
great handling high rise bars! The truck is putting on the brakes to keep
from running over him. He has several places to pull over and let us all go
but does he. What do you think? No way dude, I own the road. Soon we get
that opening we need, make sure on one else id going to go for it, grad
third, and nail it. All four are behind me and as I glance in the mirror I
see Ian and Bird Dawg right behind me. All is well and weâre running along
enjoying ourselves once more. I feel for the truck and cars and wonder if
weâll see a story about a bike in the weeds tomorrow.
      At Aurora we go right on Highway 74 toward our nightâs destination at
Kingston with Bird Dawg leading. We have already talked about this neat
looking rest area about half way to Kingston that we always pass but have
never stopped at. Itâs built beside the road in what looks like the opening
of a cave and today we are going to stop.
      Bird Dawg pulls over and we all dismount and take to the picnic
table. This place is cool and is in a large opening in a very large rock
area. There is plenty of shade and interesting things such as a tree that
grows up and then curves around the rocks to continue its climb toward the
sun.
      We have a nice rest here and then we let Ian lead us on across 74
into Kingston.
      As we enter Kingston I take the lead and take us across the small
square to the Valley Cafà and Bed and Breakfast on the far side.
      We check in and have already called ahead for our favorite pie. We
carry our bags upstairs and each chose on of the three bedrooms.
      We come back down and I ask Ian if he would like to ride my bike to
see what itâs like. I tell him to go back on Highway 74 to that old farm
house about twelve miles out of town, take a picture, and then come back.
If he really wants to see what Merlin will do then play Ricky racer going
out and take it to the red line but just stick it in forth on the way back
and let the motor do all the work. Let he go to around eight thousand on
the straights, pull you down into the turns, and then roll on out of them
while listening to that wonderful sound.
      He takes me up on it and rides off east.
      When Ian returns about forty five minutes later he gets off and is
all smiles while saying that is unbelievable. That he has never ridden
anything like that. Thatâs why she is named Merlin, because she is magic.
      A nice dinner and we then sit outside and enjoy the weather and view
until bedtime.

Jack Hays
972-952-5065
"I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon"
Que Lastima
4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42