Re: [ST] Scottoiler

>From: iPat
>i have a milenium edition...hee hee hee...ST and the scotoiler is
>fitted ok.
>seriously, no problems at all, has its limitations - only one side of
>the chain is oiled and Emile will pop up with an alternative any
>moment and a good url where he has pictures
>(http://piloot.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/64036)
> Have just bought a 2001 Sprint RS.
> Want to fit a Scottoiler chain lube ststem? Anyone ever done it, any
> problems.

Scottoiler and Triumphs have a history of vacuum connected problems,
at least according to the scottoiler site:
http://www.scottoiler.com/newsdetail.asp?newsID=25

There are two alternatives I would consider if I were you that are,
in my opinion, much better than the scottoiler. There is the pro-oiler
(as mentioned by iPat, see link above) made by an English guy living
in Belgium, as well as the German CLS Chain Lubrication System.
I have not had a scottoiler myself. I had a pro-oiler on my Sprint ST
and have now mounted myself a CLS Speed on my TDM900A:
http://piloot.smugmug.com/gallery/1862088

Here's a comparison of the three systems:

Scottoiler www.scottoiler.com
- Connects to vacuum system of bike to determine engine running.
- Drip is done by gravity
- Drip rate is dependent on flow screw
- No density / rate correction for speed, temperature change or weather

Pro-oiler www.pro-oiler.com
- Connects to battery and electronic speedo (or reed switch) to determine
  engine running and speed
- Drip is done by electric oil pump
- Drip rate is regulated and corrected automatically by electronics
  (which determines the operating sequence of the oil pump) and can be
  adjusted while riding with electronic control in dash
- Automatic correction for speed, temperature. Weather correction (rain,
  dust, salt) can, if needed, be done with control box in the dashboard /
  on steering bar

CLS Speed / CLS 200 www.cls200.de / www.cls200.com (English)
- Connects to battery and reed switch (speed version) to determine
  engine running and speed
- Drip is done by gravity
- Drip rate is regulated and corrected automatically by electronics
  (which determines opening sequence of a magnetic switch-valve in the
  control box) and can, if needed, be adjusted with a turn knob in dash
- Automatic correction for speed, temperature. Weather correction (rain,
  dust, salt) can, if needed, be done with control box in the dashboard
  (or elsewhere on the bike)

The main difference between both pro-oiler and CLS compared to the scottoiler,
as you can see, is that they both correct for temperature and (CLS Speed
version) also for speed. These corrections have a significant effect on the
efficiency of the oilers, in comparison with the much more primitive scottoiler.

As an example, the viscosity of the oil, when the temperature outside changes
from 10 to 30 degrees Celsius (not very uncommon to happen within a few hours
when riding in the mountains or on very clear summer days), changes 410%!
Even when the temperature changes from just 20 to 25 degrees C the oil flow
in a scottoiler will double. If you are riding up mountain passes there is
a big chance that a scottoiler won't drip anything anymore when higher up
because of the temperature decrease.

The same story about the speed of course. A scottoiler will drip X times
per minute, whether it's splitting lanes at 30 km/h (or even standing still)
or riding the Autobahn towards those Alps at 180 km/h. Dutch police have
used scottoilers (on Honda Transalp and such), but the guys end up with
a puddle of oil anytime they've finished writing their fines (engine and
radio still on).

The effect of the inefficiency of the scottoiler can easily been seen in
the oil usage (depending on settings and weather). If you have the huge
High Capacity Reservoir from scottoiler (400cc, almost a half liter bottle),
which usually is mounted externally behind the number plate because of its
size, you will have enough oil for 6000 to 12000 km. The CLS 200 / CLS speed
has a choice of bottles; 150ml / 250ml / 500ml. The 500 ml (also filled up
with around 400cc) will last ca. 22000 km. So that's 2 to 4 times longer
with the same oil! That translates into a much cleaner rear wheel, no oil
puddles under the bike and a small 250ml bottle under the saddle (the one
I'm using now) which should last at least 10.000 km (for the CLS). The CLS
package includes a liter of specially selected and tested oil which should
last around 50.000 km. I'm guessing that most scottoiler users are afraid
of running their chain dry and will set it too rich to be sure, so in
practice the oil usage might even be higher (I guess... don't know though).

So with a Pro-oiler or CLS (Speed) system you have the following advantages:
- Oil lasts around 3 times longer
- Cleaner rear wheel
- No oil puddles
- No running out of oil during mountain riding
- No running out of oil when the evening starts cooling the air
- Not oil waste when riding through heavy traffic
- No huge reservoir or refills needed for a weeks trip
- Ability to set richer or leaner setting even while riding

The difference between the Pro-oiler and the CLS Speed is smaller:

The pro-oiler is hugely customizable. You can, but unfortunately also have to,
set all parameters for everything. It doesn't matter whether you are riding a
mini bike or a dragster with a mile of chain, you can program it in there.
That's also a disadvantage because for the average person it is a very
complicated unit at first. Once it is all set though and once you have
learned which calibration table works best, you can forget about most
tweaking and just enjoy riding. Some people occasionally have problems
with the oil pump though, usually solved with a WD40 cleaning-blast procedure.
The control box and wiring is also very customizable, meaning you have to wire
and connect it yourself depending on how you wish to use the system and on what
kind of speed measurement you choose to use. That also means the control box is
not sealed and prone to corrode a bit, something I had a few problems with until
I figured it out and cleaned the connections inside the control box. So the
pro-oiler wins if you want the ability to set everything according to your whishes,
but it is not very user friendly to program and it is quite a job to install and
connect. I'm not sure it would be easier with a scottoiler though since you need to
connect that with engine parts.

The CLS Speed is very user friendly though and much more designed for the
actual practice of everyday, all weather riding (tested also by German guys
riding across the world off road). There is no oil pump to worry about because
it works on gravity. There is only one control box with also incorporates the
magnetic switch, which is very sturdy and completely sealed in synthetic resin,
so it's weather proof as well. The oil reservoir is also more user friendly,
being able to mount horizontally. The switch, which can be mounted in the dash,
is round, so just a small hole is needed. You can also mount it in between frame
tubes or so, a holder is included if needed. There is also a very easy, yet solid,
connecting plug in between the rotating switch and the cable in case you need to
remove fairing pieces for maintenance. There is no programming needed since the
settings are good for any normal motorcycle already. You only need to initially
set the drip rate with a screw-flow-selector, depending on the temperature. Once
set, the electronics will compensate for temperature and speed changes from that
point on. The one armed dripping arm is also set up in a way that makes it very
easy to adjust.

So the CLS is much easier to install, set up and operate. And it is more
durable thanks to its simplicity, without loosing on efficiency compared
to the Pro-oiler. I mounted the CLS myself on the TDM which wasn't very hard
as long as you're sure to route the oil line and reed-switch wire in a way
that it won't be stressed by the rear suspension or chain which depends
on the bike of course.

I asked the main CLS guy and designer Heiko, whom I met during an international
V-storm gathering in eastern Germany, about the choice of 1 versus 2 drip arms.
He was also very interested in the Pro-oiler system I had on my Sprint at the
time (spring this year). I also asked him why pro-oiler uses regular motor oil
but his CLS uses special oil. About the oil he says he tested a huge range of
oils, including regular motor oil. But motor oil he found not sticky enough and
too dirty in some ways, it would run of the chain cylinders quicker than the
oil he eventually chose. About the double arm he said it wasn't really needed.
The capillary forces would make the oil stick on the cylinders in the chain and
from there on the oil would flow out to cover the seals on both sides between
those cylinders and the linking plates of the chain. He even said it didn't really
matter to set the oiler richer in rain, since it would be lubed by water, although
the oil still has a function to clean the dirt that comes with it from the seals.
It's obvious he wanted a system that would have the best result but with the most
simplistic and durable solution. I was impressed enough to consider the CLS for
my next bike, which I eventually did a few months later, even though I was pleased
overall with the pro-oiler.

All in all, all three systems incl the scottoiler will make sure your chain
lasts a lot longer and they'll in between chain maintenance (tensioning, cleaning,
lubing etc) a thing of the past. The scottoiler is the most primitive system
by far and the most expensive as well since it uses special, expensive oil and
a lot of it. The Pro-oiler and CLS are intelligent systems, making them much
more efficient and cleaner. My nudge goes to the CLS system, but I wouldn't have
problems riding a ton of kilometers with a pro-oiler either. At least you can make
a more informed decision now :-).

Emile
Almere, Netherlands
'06 Yamaha TDM900A GT