From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matt Knowles
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 2:40 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] countershaft sprocket

On Dec 18, 2006, at 1:52 PM, halfast3 wrote:

> At the other
> extreme, I also have not-so-fond memories of being turned on my head
> by a 1" drive impact wrench :o|.

That's exactly the problem I was wondering about. The torque on the
bolt is supposed to be 132 foot/lbs. So with my 12" ratchet I have to
supply 132 pounds of force. With the 3' extender I would only have to
supply 44 pounds of force which apparently wasn't anything close to
what it's going to take to remove this nut.

So if you have roughly 6-8 inches of leverage with an air wrench (I'm
guessing on this, I don't know what these look like)  you'd have
something like 264 to 198 pounds of force needed. I only weigh 165, so
I figure I'd lose that battle.

Since I believe the law that for every action, there is an equal but
opposite reaction is still in effect, how can an impact driver impart
that much torque and stay in the mechanics hands?

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned