From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jack Hays
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 11:34 AM
To: st-triumphnet.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
st-triumphnet.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Shake, Rattle, and Roll

I keep seeing the post about the ST mirror shake and all the traffic about
same.

You do know that it is not the mirror itself. Right?

It's the fairing that causes the problem and I don't see how hanging a BMW
or Ferrari mirror on there will change anything.

Try riding down the road with the Hoohie-Koochie mirrors abuse and simply
grab the fairing wing at the tip closest to you. Instant stability.

The long wing part of the fairing in not internally braced at all, and
starts playing Flight of the Bumble Bee, then the mirrors shake out of
fear.

The carbon bits from Lilley's slowed the dance to a slower pace on Merlin.

I have thought years about fabricating an internal brace to place between
the outer and inner fairing wind sandwiched between the two but just
decided to have the sandwich myself.

I also don't really care what is directly behind as much as what is at my
normal blind spot 45 degrees behind and to each side. I keep the mirrors
adjusted that way. First with the stalks as that brings the condoms under
slight pressure and keeps them in place, then the mirror adjustment
itself. My arms are taking up about one quarter of the mirror image but so
what. If you'll look at the web site rider reviews I had one of the first
riding impressions of the ST when I got mine on January 19, 1999 and my
only negative was about the mirrors. After a while I thought about why I
was trying to see directly behind me, where I really needed to see 98% of
the time, adjusted, and have been happy sine. Well, happy about the
mirrors anyhow.

When I do have that big stop I see no problem slightly shifting to see
what is behind me but my first concern is not hitting what is causing the
big stop in the first place.

Jack Hays
972-952-5065
"I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon"
Que Lastima
4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42