Re: [ST] Cylinder pressure problem

Hey,

Matt Knowles wrote:

> I'm not a mechanic, and I've never done a compression test, but since
> standard air pressure is around 14.7 lbs at sea level how do you get a
> reading of 10 lbs?

Reading is usually quoted as psig (pounds per square inch gauge), which
means that zero is atmospheric.  Most gauges (OK, none of the ones I
work with, but I'm a mass spectrometer technician, so 1E-10mbar is a
pressure to me!) use their zero point as ambient pressure, and some more
advanced ones have a little valve that lets you 'set' the atmosphere
side of the chamber on a day where 1.013 atmospheres is the actual reading.

But.... 10lbs is zilch, so I would suspect strongly that the readings
weren't taken correctly.  And if you disconnect the injectors, the
exhaust and the ECU, you'll get the same reading I'm sure, so it has to
be either a duff reading, or there's some serious damage to the valves
or bores.

Second opinion time?

Andrew