Re: [ST] Turbo Cruisers

On Feb 2, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Matt Knowles wrote:
> Turbocharging uses wasted energy going out the exhaust pipe to drive
> the pump. So you get the improvement in chamber efficiency without any
> drain on the motor. The down side, of course is lag time, which pretty
> much makes it a problem for drag racing (and motorcycles in my
> opinion)

Turbochargers are great for drag racing, they don't have to worry
much about lag with a properly designed system, and two-stage rev
limiters can spool the turbo even while they're sitting at the line.

Turbochargers aren't used in Top Fuelers because it is against the
rules.

On Feb 2, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Neil Lindsey wrote:
> the main problems with turbocharging, as I understand, is that it uses
> very HOT exhaust gases (which can damage intakes) and that it works
> best
> with engines that have lower compression ratios to begin with

The hot exhaust gases stay in the exhaust, just like on a regular
motor.  The only difference is that they spin a turbine on their way
to the tailpipe.  The hot exhaust gases have nothing to do with the
intake.

The lower compression ratio applies to both supercharging and
turbocharging.  A lower compression ratio will generally allow a
motor to run more boost before detonation.  A higher compression
ratio will have more response off-boost and will generally have
better response from the turbo as well, it just won't be able to run
as much boost as a lower-compression motor.

As for motorcycle applications, my normally aspirated Sprint ST has
enough power to make me happy.  In this case, I think that much more
power would not be happier, but scary!

Jim
2001 Sprint ST
1985 BMW 535i Turbo