Re: [ST] db's and ears

Dan,
Thought I'd chime in on this... as I have limited
experience with it.  We've attempted to utilize the
interaurals in the fire service, specifically for haz
mat as it sounded like a good idea to have an absolute
minimum of stuff to wear before getting into an
encapsulating suit.  The only problem was that they
just didn't work.  The idea sounds great, but it did
not work as the quality of the produced sound was
almost unintelligible, (too muffled).  I don't
remember what brand it was, but it was the best money
could buy 10 years ago.  Maybe the technology has
improved since then?

I will say that the autocom system I now use is
phenomenal.  They have this technology down pat.
Noise cancelling mics are the only way to go.  As a
matter of fact, we use noise cancelling mics
(Motorola) on our fire apparatus now.  The clarity is
actually better from a noise cancelling mic standing
next to a 1500 gpm sutphen pumper (2 stroke diesel)
running at full throttle than it is from a standard
radio mic without the noise cancelling feature with no
ambient noise.  Don't know how they do it, but it
works.

Dan Wetherington wrote:

Very insightful, John.  I was not aware of the
interaural mics at all.
Some people had talked about trying throat mics, but
the interaurals
would really do the trick.  What applications
currently use the
interaurals?  Would there be any way to have someone
incorporate this
into a plug-phone setup?

Dan