Re: [ST] db's and ears

Ok Gang,
At the risk of sounding like I just slept at a Holiday
Inn Express last night, let me just tell you what
works for me.  I have tried a few different systems
over the last decade and I know what worked and what
didn't.

1)Microphones:  NOTHING I tried worked well except for
the noise cancelling unit I am using on  my current
autocom setup.  Simple:  if it doens't have at least
noise cancelling technology forget about it.  If I
remember correctly, my particular unit uses two
different technologies, probably a filter as well.
Regardless, it works at all speeds.  It is amazing to
me that people can't tell you're on a motorcyle while
talking on a cell phone while hooked into the autocom
unit. It is that clear.  Earmics, throat mics,
standard mics... forget about em.  Don't fight it...
just let it go...

2) Audio: Don't try to rebuild the wheel here, folks.

Here's what works well (for me anyway).  Use a medium
attenuation earplug and then use a high quality
headset that is helmet mountable. The noise floor is
wiped out to a negligible level by the ear plugs
obviously, but amazingly the sound from the speakers
is clear as bell, but you must have ample volume to
overcome the earplug attenuation. Even while in
motion, you will hear details in the sound that you
cannot hear without the earplugs.  Amazing.  I know
this sounds contrary to what everyone's been saying,
as it seems like your'e blasting sound from the
speakers just to get past your ear plugs, but it
really does work.

>From the autocom website:
Autocom Systems are designed to accommodate the use of
noise-reducing earplugs. We recommend that you use
earplugs in the range of 15-20dB attenuation, as this
seems to give the best combination of noise-reduction
with audio usage. Note that noise-reducing earplug use
will require properly aligned speakers to ensure
maximum volume at the ears.

The interesting part of noise-reducing earplug usage
is that often you can hear your communications and
audio better with them than without. Seems backwards
but true as they reduce the annoying monotone noises
associated with ambient noise, while voice signals
come through clearly.

See?  I told ya so.  On my autocom unit, I never even
use the earplugs unless I'm doing some all day riding,
(personal preference).  The autocom helmet speakers
deliver high-fi sound that makes a huge difference in
how loud it even needs to be in the first place.  As
far as inteligibility goes, good, clean, accurate
sound does not need to be played as loudly as poor
quality sound.  This is key and autocom knows it.

So I hope I didn't sound like an autocom commercial,
but after messing around with inferior systems that
actually cost more, I'm truly happy with it.  In case
anyone's wondering, I installed the Active 7 Smart on
my Trophy 900 and one on my ST. I was so happy with
them, I bought the Easy 7 Advance (which is almost the
same as the other but 9v portable ) to use on the rest
of the bikes.

The FAQ alone is worth a read on autocom's website.
www.autocomamerica.com

I'd like to hear from anyone that's tried other
systems, like Baehr, to see how they stack up.

Cheers,
Jonathan West