Re: [ST] db's and ears (was "Offroad exhaust" tune?)

Sent this yesterday AM, but never saw it on the list server. ???

Knowing the sound level reduction in db can be somewhat misleading
without knowing what frequency range is being attenuated. Human voice
is typically considered to be in the 300-3,000 Hz range. The earplug
attenuation may attenuate more or less in that frequency range, yet
be rated at higher frequencies. Another factor at 65+ MPH is that the
ambient noise decibel level has increased considerably, especially
with a lesser quality or poorly fitting  helmet, and your speakers
(and hearing) may not be able to compensate for that. If you are
serious about quality on-bike communications, you really need to
consider the Autocom systems (autocom.co.uk). I use a Pro 7 with
amateur radio transceivers for public service event support, like
bicycle races & rides, walks, marathons, etc., and I have been quite
pleased with it. Mostly doing this on my '04 Daytona 955i with stock
can and I can hear fine at 100 MPH +. Their systems aren't
inexpensive, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Dennis
Scottsdale, AZ
'00 RS
'04Daytona 955i