Re: [ST] Sprint ABS

Hi guys
I have a 05 ABS which I have owned now for 7 months ... but have done 7000
miles on it .
Its true that the ABS is totally unobtrusive until you need it.
I have tested the rear brake out on some gravel , and it makes a fair
clunking when it works.. but the wheel wont lock .
I have only felt the front once .. in  a panic brake when  a car pulled out
fairly near to me. What I actually felt was the front easing off for a
fraction and then firming on. I guess that stopped the front locking up !I
have ridden bikes for 30 yrs, had advanced training and racetrack training
... including training on braking . !!
 I had a fz1 before the sprint , and it had superb brakes. I never locked up
the front on that ... but never had a real emergency happen like above. I
reckon in the dry with good tyres, and with anticipation , a sustained and
careful hard use of the front brakes wont lock the wheel up anyway. I have
braked very very hard with the fazer down from 140 plus at trackdays without
a hint of a lock. However despite all that knowledge and  track training in
braking manoeuvres, I still managed to " overbrake " in a emergency .Whether
th esprint would hav elocked I will never know... but I take comfort that
the system will always be there if an incident occurs suddenly or if my
concentration has dipped for a fraction.

As such I cant see in what circumstances ABS is not a good idea...I can see
an arguement against linked brakes as I like independant control over front
and rear brakes... but ABS is a safety measure for emergencies .

As for these so called tests " with racers" .. IMO they are useless... ABS
is there for emergencies... in tests where riders KNOW they are trying to
brake without locking, how does that equate with real emergencies when you
are not " prepared ". Its utter tosh really.

My opinion is , if the technology is there( and it is ) ... why is'nt ABS
offered on all bikes as an option??

I mean would you want a car without airbags ?? In spite of so many lives and
injuries  being saved by 'em ?

I think its a fashion statement more than reasoned judgement to say ABS is
not worth having . Somehow if you have ABS ... you are not a " good rider "
.. unlike the " racers " who are ???

How many racers do you know who actually have a road bike and actually ride
real roads ! They know how much more dangerous road riding is compared to
trackwork.

regards

Pitternator ( UK)