From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Johnson
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 4:27 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Sprint ABS

I have about 45 years of experience, I ride all year and use the bike
for
communting.  I wouldn't have a clue how many miles/kilometers I've
racked up
 but its a lot.  I've also had several training and saftey courses.  I
used
to think that my level of experience would keep me out of trouble.
However,
I had a very bad accident a year ago with my non-ABS Ducati.  A drunk
came
down a hill and blew through a stop sign about 50 feet in front of me, I
was
doing about 65 MPH or so, in the rtight lane, pickup on my immediate
left,
concrete barrier on my right, no place to go.  In panic mode I over
braked
and locked up the front.  I hit him doing a full stoppie.   With ABS I
probably would have still hit him, but in all probability at a much
slower
speed.  Later I took my BMW GS out on an old runway near here and marked
off
a starting point, went back up about a half mile and disabled the ABS.
got it up to 100MPH and hammered the breaks when crossing the mark, then
marked the stopping point.  Went back and repeated the trial with the
ABS on
  Needless to say the stopping distance was far shorter, but just as
important perhaps was that my control was much better with the ABS on
and I
could have done evasive moves if necessary, with the ABS off,
controlling
the bike was a handful.
My 06 Sprint ST has ABS and I love it.  I really don't care if some knob
thinks I'm a worse rider for having it.

John Johnson
06 ST, 05 BMW GS
British Columbia, Canada