Re: [ST] Robert - High mileage ST <long response>

> I would love to hear what maintenance issues (if any!) you are finding and
> what accessories you are running.
>
> Seeing that your speedo is in kph, what part of the world are you in?
>
> Brett
> Sydney.

I had the leaky fuel sender and a bad rear brake switch - both fixed under
warranty in the first 2 months of ownership. Other than that it's basically
just been regular 10k services with an extra oil change in between. At some
point after the 40k service it started to use more oil. It's still only
using 1-1.5 litres/5000kms, so I'm not worried.

I'm on my 10th set of tires iirc. In order : BT57, Metz MeZ4, BT020, Avon
AV35/36, AV45/46, AV45/46, AV45/46, Metz Z6, Avon Azaro ST, Azaro ST. And my
fourth chain and sprocket set.

As for accessories and mods, in no particular order - I've had the rear
hugger, tank guard and front mud flap from the start. The mud flap had to be
replaced once (a bad glue job on my part I guess). I got the CF can put on
at the first service. Later that summer I purchased the rear seat cowl. That
first winter I added a Throttlemeister, Genmar bar risers and the hard bags.
I upgraded the front suspension to Race Tech around the 48k mark, and
replaced the rear shock with an Ohlins sometime later. The heated grips went
on for the '02 or '03 riding season - which I should have done much sooner.
When the first chain was done, I had the stock 19 tooth front sprocket
replaced with an 18 - another thing I should have had done much sooner. What
else ? I put a tinted JL double bubble screen at some point during the first
or second year. I have a Bonnie (dog-leg) clutch lever.

I'd still like to replace the horn, but I live in a small town in Canada, so
there really isn't anyone to hear an upgrade. I know the deer don't really
care. If I regularly rode at night I'd beef up the lighting .... which I
should do anyway.

The bike has been hit by cars twice. The first time, it was knocked into a
fence by a neighbour (barely a scratch, but the fairing mounts were badly
bent). And I was rear ended at a red light. Oncoming traffic had a flashing
green, so I had nowhere to go - even if I had been paying attention. The
front of the car was low enough that it hit my tire and bounced me out into
the intersection. But it was my lucky day, the driver that was approaching
me and turning left saw it happen and gave me room. He even stopped and
offered to be a witness.

I dropped it once when I stalled dodging a car during a turn going uphill.
It was a valiant fight to keep my then-new helmet* and the bike off the
ground. In the end, I chose to save me and the helmet and get my arse off
the road. The sum total of all repairs, one touch-up kit and one full set of
fairing mounts.

I'll bet that's more than you wanted to know eh ?

Robert Reid - Brockville, Ontario, Canada .... who probably just doubled his
word count on this list.

*
http://tinyurl.com/7tsym - not totally happy with how the logo came out, but
it looks better than the picture.