Re: [ST] Fw: [safespeed] PR287: URGENT WARNING: Very low road grip widely reported

So it sounds as if it's in the motor industry's interest for this stuff
to be used.  They could subsidise it and it would be even 'cheaper' for
local tax payers.

Oh no.  I'm coming over all cynical again.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> MFay@xxxxxxxxx 14/02/2006 11:41:01 >>>
Another factor is that the purpose of this additive is to make the
salt
content stick to the road and not wash off. This reduces the cost of
keeping
the roads ice free.

A side effect is that the additive makes the salt stick to our bikes
and is
practically impossible to wash off completely.
corrosion is a much bigger problem than it used to be, especially in
hard to
reach areas such as brake callipers etc...

My daily commute is 40 Kms and by the end of it the bike is covered in
dirty black oily film.
To clean the lights I have to resort to hot soapy water rinsed off with
cold
water to remove the residue.
Regular washing and spraying with a corrosion inhibitor is the only way
prevent having out bikes rot away before our eyes.

At this stage I'm praying for a week of torrential rainfall just to
wash the
roads clean and restore some consistent traction.

Martin (Howlin' Dawg) Fay
Ireland

'06 BMW K1200S
'00 Moto Guzzi California EV Touring