Re: [ST] Suspension upgrade (was: Sprint ABS)

Emile,
RT emulators cost about $160 USD.  It is best to pull the forks and take them apart.  I think you have an 02 or 03 ST????  But anyway, it's a good excuse to put new fork bushings in (also available from RT) and new fork seals.  Not big bucks and you don't have to mess with forks for a long time.  You can use a hand drill to put the holes in the damper rods but I don't recommend it.  Need a drill press to keep them approximately symetrical plus you need to de-burr the holes.  If you are set up for it you can nock it out in a couple of hours if everything goes right.  It took me most of the day but I wasn't in a rush and getting the burrs out was more of a pain than I planned for.   I also took extra time to rinse out the crud in my forks.  I also recommend having a decent fork oil level measuring device.  I made one from tubing which was OK but if you get a Motion Pro or similar one it's easier.   If you go with HyperPro's which I also installed a year or so prior to the RT's,
  it is s
 till better to pull the forks so that you can dump ALL the oil.  You can do the HyperPro in a couple hours without much of a rush.  You can also try the suck out the oil and replace the springs in place.  That worked for me once and didn't work another time.  Sometimes it's a pain to get all the oil out.  Just bite the bullet and take the forks off.   After all of that, maybe the RT's are better than just the emulators but it sure isn't by much.  Also RT's alone just don't do it, you probably need springs of some kind unless you are the perfect match for the stock springs.
Hope this helps.
Rod