Re: [ST] Suspension upgrade (was: Sprint ABS)

>From: MFay@xxxxxxxxx
>Before you decide whether to invest in new springs or RT emulators you need
>to determine whether your problem is with spring rates or damping.
>The '99s came poorly sprung from the factory and really benefited from new
>springs and emulators but the '02 onwards models were much better.

I have a 2001 model, it was still new exactly a year ago (30.000 km now).
The biggest influence on the riding seems to be square tires, but I can't
seem to keep up with a girlfriend of mine (R1100S) anymore when she
challenges me for high speed, long turns. The front (or bike at least)
never seemed too steady, at least not to what I was used to on my GS and
T-max. Once it even became scary when I was trying out my 3 new Givi
bags when a (what seemed like) front wobble didn't seem to stop. But
even without the bags it doesn't feel as secure as to what I've been
used to. It became a lot better once I turned up the front preload,
but still it doesn't feel stable enough for my likings in several
situations. The hyperpro front spring kit also comes with their own
oil, I guess that will make a difference as well? My weight 65 kgs
(145lbs) at 1.90m (6'3"), but also often with luggage and 2-up.

Emile
www.piloot.com