Re: [ST] For Emile - Suspension upgrade (was: Sprint ABS)

Emile,

I would say that your bike is definately in need of attention in the
suspension dept from the handling deterioration you have described. The '99 ST had a
reputation for the springs sacking out (fatigued) around 30,000 - 40,000kms.
This happened to mine and it took me a while to figure out why it kept running
wide in corners when I wasnt really pushing it. Loaded up, it handled like a
whale.

I would suggest the first thing you do is set up the static sag for your
weight, at both ends. If you use a lot of spring pre load adjustment, or if you
cant get it adjusted, thats a good indication of fatigued springs.

To clarify my earlier post - I put in constant rate springs that were 20%
stiffer than standard, front & rear. The oil in the forks was replaced with a
heavier weight. I cant remember the exact numbers but it was upped by ten. i.e.
If standard is 5W, I went to 15W. If the oil in your forks has never been
replaced you may find its transformed into a slick grey sludge, as mine had. This
offers very little in the way damping! The forks should be thoroughly cleaned.
I replaced the seals while they were off the bike. The rebuild/service of the
rear shock was to come later, as I didnt have the cash at the time.

The replacement of just the springs and  fork oil made a HUGE difference. I
also went to the trouble of working out the static sag settings for when I was
loaded/two up and riding solo. Its not much but I did notice it and was glad I
took the time.

A bit long winded, but I hope this helps,

Brett.