[ST] 2000 RS ECU Question

Hello everyone.  My name is Jody and I've been reading this list for a
while now.  I have a 2000 Sprint RS with about 26,000 miles.  Last week
as I was leaving to come home my bike messed up for the first time
ever.  It was hard to start and acted as if had been flooded.  Once
started it an fine on my 40 mile ride home.  The next morning the bike
would turn over good and the fuel pump pumped up, but no fire.  Long
story short I changed the spark plugs hoping that it was just fouled
plugs (no dice).  After some time at the dealer and them talking to
Triumph they eliminated any shorts, mechanical injection problems, and
determined that the ECU was working perfectly except it was not sending
an injection signal.  The Map was either not there or non-functioning.
The computer it self did not fail but the fuel map was erased or
corrupted.  They reprogramed the ECU and now it runs.  How does this
happen?  and Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?

									Thanks
									Jody