From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Chris Harwood
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:56 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] 2000 RS ECU Question

Jody

I've not heard of that happening but don't read too much into that.

Microprocessors need a pretty clean feed on all inputs in order to function correctly, especially the power supply.  Motor vehicles are notorious for having a hostile environment for them, what with HT for spark plugs, battery voltage going from 14volts to 8 or 9 depending on whether it's charging or running all the cold-weather items and cranking the motor.

The program in the box runs a sequence of instructions and they need to execute in the correct order.  Some instructions say 'jump to another place in the program'.  A spike (short-duration high voltage) on any input can make the program jump to ANYWHERE potentially.  Part of the program code is known to be able to write to the basic map (Tuneboy invokes this code for new tunes, as does the Triumph tool) and so there is always the possibility of corruption.

I'm amazed that it doesn't happen more often but there will be a number of measures in place to detect this situation and prevent it happening.  All that does is increase the odds - you can't get 100 percent.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> jodya44@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 16/02/2006 04:05:54 >>>
Hello everyone.  My name is Jody and I've been reading this list for a
while now.  I have a 2000 Sprint RS with about 26,000 miles.  Last week
as I was leaving to come home my bike messed up for the first time
ever.  It was hard to start and acted as if had been flooded.  Once
started it an fine on my 40 mile ride home.  The next morning the bike
would turn over good and the fuel pump pumped up, but no fire.  Long
story short I changed the spark plugs hoping that it was just fouled
plugs (no dice).  After some time at the dealer and them talking to
Triumph they eliminated any shorts, mechanical injection problems, and
determined that the ECU was working perfectly except it was not sending
an injection signal.  The Map was either not there or non-functioning.
The computer it self did not fail but the fuel map was erased or
corrupted.  They reprogramed the ECU and now it runs.  How does this
happen?  and Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?

									Thanks
									Jody

This email forms part of an electronic communication sent to
the intended recipient or such person's authorised representative,
for the recipient's sole use and is subject to important legal
and regulatory restrictions, qualifications and disclaimers
("Email Legal Notice") that must be accessed by clicking here
<http://www.foschini.co.za/disclaimer.htm>
Or copy this address onto your Internet browser and process there.
The Email Legal Notice is enforceable and binding on the recipient
(or such person's authorised representative) in terms of section 11
(1) to 11 (3) of the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act
No. 25 of 2002. By receiving, reading or acting upon this email,
you automatically be bound by the terms of the Email Legal Notice.