Re: [ST] RS main beam

Neil

Thanks for that.  I don't have a problem with tracing it tomorrow apart from the cold weather!

I doubt it's the relay sticking as the fault appeared without me switching anything and I was on dipped beam.

It's always worth asking others before tearing the thing to bits.  Re-inventing the wheel and all that.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> Neil.Lindsey@xxxxxxx 22/02/2006 23:18:29 >>>
Doubtful that it's a known fault since I don't think it's ever been
reported here before.

Do you have a shop manual and if you do, are you comfortable with
electrical schematics?

IIRC the way the headlights on our Sprints work, power is applied
directly to the high or low beam filament (depending on hi/low switch)
of one headlight, and the relay sends that same voltage to the
corresponding filament of the other headlight

So if I understand your description correctly, it sounds like the
high-beam relay might be stuck ON (you say the other high beam follows
the switch).

I'd suggest pulling the relays one at a time to identify which is which,
and then try reversing them to identify the culprit.

If that doesn't nail the culprit, there's something more serious
wrong -- like a short somewhere between relay and hi-beam bulb -- but I
kinda doubt that

HTH
Neil