Re: [ST] Doug it up didn't we

I always look at city limit speed limits as revenue makers.  On a lot of my travels I have come across roads where the speed limit is 50 or 55mph - two lane road with passing zones.  You can usually rip shit up.  The only danger is just happening to catch a cop coming towards you, but they are so few and far between.  But when I hit a city limit that suddenly states 25, 30 or 35 mph, I shut her down and do not go even a mile over that.  They are usually waiting for the "foreigners" to not respect their village......

  Matt Heyer

Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  One bad thing about touring is you never know what the local law
enforcement is like. In our defense Blake, Paul, Keith and myself saw
plenty on our way out to Colorado, getting pulled over once, and
seriously pissed off another local even though we were doing exactly
the limit of 25 in the city. Something about a couple of red STs and a
couple of other bikes must have made us look like we were really
moving.

So we were probably all a bit gun shy while in the city limits where it
seemed they had way too many signs stating there artificially low speed
limit. When ever I'm traveling on roads with really artificial speed
limit signs, I figure I'm in a revenue enhancement mode and I do back
it off. Lake Havasu in Arizona comes to mind. Nice curvy roads with a
35mph limit, I had a cop follow me all the way just making sure I
wasn't going to kill someone by going 37mph.

On Feb 15, 2006, at 6:22 AM, Jack Hays wrote:

> Later in the day I came upon Blake, Paul, Matt, and about seven other
> riders heading up toward Blue Mesa.
> Man, they were just poking along and the old Rude Dog was getting fleas
> just waiting to find a spot to pass these Dawgs and get on with it.
> I kept saying to myself that I must have been too serious at the riders
> meeting and wish I had lightened up some.
> Then, like Star Wars, the group made like the Millennium Falcon and
> disappeared in front of me.
Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned