[ST] Mirror sleeves?

I have just acquired a 2001 Sprint ST, it's overall in great shape
(wish I could find an owner's manual), but has one problem.  The
rubber sleeves covering the mirror arms keep coming loose at the
fairing ends.  They seem to fit ok, they flex into place around the
metal lip, but work loose on even the shortest of rides.  Is this a
known issue?  Easy fix?  I was going to use a bit of silicone seal to
glue them into place, but that seems a clunky repair.

Thanks for any suggestions!

KeS