Re: [ST] New Jersey Closing??? (Off topic)

In a previous email, brettwilson21@xxxxxxx stated:
> I just saw a brief news report about the governor shutting the state
> down because of arguments over the budget (????) Not something I've
> ever heard of before.

It's not like they closed the gates and won't let anyone in. Which may
not be a bad idea, at least keep out the narrow-minded.

Anyway, by law the legislature has to have a passed budget by July 1 or
they can't spend the money. They didn't pass so technically there is no
money to be had. In reality the money is there. They are laying off all
"non-essential employees."  Which is funny that the government would
even admit to having non-essential employees. So the cops will still be
out there issuing tickets but you can't go to a state park or beach.

 From todays' Star-Ledger:
"Unable to reach a budget agreement with members of his own divided
party, Gov. Jon Corzine yesterday ordered a step-by-step government
shutdown for the first time in New Jersey history."

"Corzine, his demeanor grim, said at a morning news conference he had no
choice but to close down non-essential state operations after he and
Assembly Democrats failed to agree on a balanced budget by yesterday's
12:01 a.m. deadline, as required by the state constitution. Without a
budget, the state has no authority to spend money."

The full story:
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-7/115181856758270.xml&coll=1

The funny part is that one of the big complaints is that people can't
buy their lottery tickets.

When I lived in Connecticut, we went through this same nonsense back
when Weicker was governor in the late 80's. During the "shut-down" I
went hiking in Penwood State Park on a Saturday morning. When I went to
leave I was stopped by a trooper at the gate. He told me that although
the park was closed and I was not allowed in he could do nothing to stop
me. Now the real ironic thing about that incident was that the state
could not pay the park ranger but they could pay the trooper's over-time.

--
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent,
hard-working, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that
get all the publicity. But then--we elected them."
             -- Lily Tomlin