Re: [ST] Life out there?

>From: Marc Van Est
>I'm sure the cost of refined fuel should be similar in the Netherlands
>to what it is in South Africa.

I guess so, even though Shell is Dutch. But it also depends on the
exchange rate of the US Dollar (OPEC) versus your Rand or my Euro
(see relation in link in previous post). The US Dollar is getting
pretty cheap again now, for europeople. So that would make the oil
relatively cheaper (or for dollarpeople it would seem relatively
expensive, since I converted from Euro to USD). Don't know how the
Rand's doing, but that is of (big) influence. So it's all a matter
of relativity...

>For yours to be double ours must mean a big tax component.

Yep, 66% of the literprice is tax (see link in previous post).

>That means the more you ride your bike instead of your car the less tax
>you pay!

Well, I don't have a car. But the bicycle uses less tax, as well as less
oil. Then again, I need more energy (especially with the heatwave now) so
I need more food and fluids (not to mention the energy it takes to make a
plastic bottle plus the logistics involved). But at least the taxes on that
are lower, so yes I guess I'd pay less taxes :-).

Emile
www.piloot.com