Re: [ST] Restoring Patti's Duc

See, the thing is... the only way I'll even attempt to let
myself do this is by swearing up and down to myself that
I'm only doing a cosmetic restoration.  If I even *think*
about getting her running, then the whole thing is too big
and expensive and scary for me to even think about.

And I really do want a living room piece, which was the whole
motivation for getting the bike in the first place.  My
conscience won't let me take a running bike off the road for
that purpose, but I'm only going to feel a little bit bad
about not getting a dead one running.

Having said that, I can already tell that once she's shiny,
my mind will probably turn to, "Well, I could just pull the
engine apart and see..."

On the flip side, I'm not the kind of person who thinks that
spending the weekend rebuilding forks is a good time...
wrenching is work, and I typically pay people to do it for
me.  If I was willing to do the work required to keep a
vintage bike running, I'd wander around the corner and buy
the gorgeous 71 Bonneville that's for sale:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whipartist/192037582/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whipartist/192037408/

>5) Does the engine kick over? How's the inside of the gas tank? Got a shop
>manual yet? Joined the vintage Duc club? Watch out for the price of chrome.

The inside of the tank is horrible, and even though it's been
drained the whole thing reeks of decade-old gas.  The kickstart
is missing, which on this bike almost certainly means that the
internal gear for it is broken.  I have a shop manual on order,
and I have a really great book on restoring Ducati singles.
I didn't know there was a vintage Duc club, but I'm on the
bevelheads mailing list.

-P