[ST] Restoring Patti's Duc

>See, the thing is... the only way I'll even attempt to let
myself do this is by swearing up and down to myself that
I'm only doing a cosmetic restoration.  If I even *think*
about getting her running, then the whole thing is too big
and expensive and scary for me to even think about.

>And I really do want a living room piece, which was the whole
motivation for getting the bike in the first place.  My
conscience won't let me take a running bike off the road for
that purpose, but I'm only going to feel a little bit bad
about not getting a dead one running.

That's pretty funny.  My decent into the world of Ducati singles started with an innocent conversation about getting a Duc single engine I could polish up and put on a stand in my living room.  Turns out the guy who had just such an engine, also had two complete bikes and more than a few boxes of parts, and wanted badly to get rid of the whole lot.

FWIW, once I got into the work I was amazed at how much stuff is out there.  For instance, I dropped my Scrambler engine off my workbench, ruining the timing cover case.  I thought that might be the end of it, but NO, I found another better one on ebay, for $25.
There are enough NOS parts to build 1,000 new Singles, at least.  I've had to order parts from all over the world but with the exception of the exhaust pipe that came on my year ('69) bike only, I've found everything I've needed.

FWIW II: Duc singles are barely harder than lawnmowers to get running.  I think once you have a beauty, you'll want it running!

David
'99ST