[ST] Summer trip

I'm planning a rather long summer trip, coming up in just a couple
weeks now.  I'm riding from south FL to my brother's house in
Norfolk, VA, where he will get out his Daytona and we'll ride to meet
a friend in the DC area who recently started riding (and is wisely
starting out on a Ninja 250).  From there we'll go with my friend and
possibly his brother (he has a Buell) to Summit Point to watch
motorcycle racing, possibly both Saturday and Sunday.  I'm sure
plenty of time will also be found to enjoy the beautiful roads in
that area.

After that, I'll be heading to Central NY to spend a couple weeks at
a client's office.  I'll possibly also ride up through the
Adirondacks to Montreal to meet up with friends who will be there on
the F1 race weekend.

Just figured I'd post general plans in case any listers might want to
ride along somewhere.  It would suck to post the trip report and find
later that somebody would have liked to ride along.

So, I've ordered my a new front tire (another Conti Road Attack, so I
can hopefully get that replaced before I start.  I've got about 12K
miles on the front, and I don't want to have to worry about how much
longer it will last while I'm on a 3-4K trip.  I got around 9-10K
miles out of the last rear tire, and only a couple thousand on the
new one, so it should be good for the trip.  Besides, I figure I'll
get to wear out the sides of the tire a little, so that should make
it last even longer!

I made a trip to central SC at Christmas, and was pleasantly
surprised with how the Sprint eats up the miles on a longer trip like
that, at least when I wasn't really suffering from the cold.  I'm
really looking forward to riding again on some roads that are not
flat and straight!

Chain is new enough to make the trip with no problem, and brakes look
ok too.  I can't think of any other wear items that should be checked/
replaced before a long trip.  Today I replaced the leaking seal
around the clutch actuator rod, it was kind of cool to see under the
clutch cover.  The clutch looks much bigger than what I remember from
the Magna.  The external spring had worn large gouges into the clutch
actuator rod, so I left that little spring off when I reassembled
things.  It felt strange to have a part left over, even on purpose!
On a side note, there is no need to drain the oil when removing the
clutch cover if the bike is parked on the side stand.

So, a bit of cleaning and an oil change, and the bike should be ready
to go.

Jim