Re: [ST] For John

> But these days when someone hurts a motorcyclists,
> even when it is the car-drivers fault, the attitude
> seems to be that the motorcyclist had it coming to
> them since motorcycles are the
> problem/dangerous/etc.

This is a good point, Matt, and I dont think we
disagree on it at all. I can certainly get my hackles
up when I feel a motorcyclist is being chastized for
just being a motorcylist. It might sound like I am
talking out of both sides of my mouth, but I am not. I
think we are on the same page here, and, I would
guess, so is just about everyone on this list. Fair
justice is what is needed in these cases. While it
wouldnt be fair to the driver at fault to penalize
them more becuase the guy they hit was on a bike, it
would also certainly be wrong to penalize them less by
saying "oh, well, he was on a bike anyway, so he must
have been at fault/the problem/drinking or whatever".
And that has certainly happened. It happened to a
friend of mine. Lady made a left turn, plowed into him
standing in trafiic on his bike. She was clearly at
fault. He needed recostructive surgery on his leg,
pins, therapy for a year, etc. Troopers thought he was
drinking, becuase the guy has a red nose and ruddy
complexion. I happen to know he doesnt drink at all,
let alone on a bike. They wouldnt let go of this, and
consequently didnt cite the other driver. He should
have  demanded a breathalizer for himself, but heck,
when you are laying in pieces, the legal bullshit is
the last thing on your mind, especially when it
clearly looks like the other person was at fault.