Re: [ST] I stand corrected.....

Eoin,

You are contradicting yourself in your first and
second responses. Responses embedded below.

--- Eoin Kirwan <eoinkirwan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 June 2006 16:52, John Ulizzi wrote:
> > Had the guy been in a car, everyone might have
> walked
> > away. He wasnt. He was on a bike.
>
> Does that mean that if a Hummer makes tinfoil of a
> small car, it was the small
> car's occupants who were at fault for not being in
> another Hummer?
>
> Where does it end? When everyone is driving a
> Sherman tank and there are no
> cyclists, pedestrians or motorcyclists left? To me
> this is insanity.

No , it isnt insanity. Its reality. The person at
fault is, well, at fault, but if you are the person
that is hit, and your damages are more severe becuase
you are on a bike, that additional differential is not
becuase the person hit you, it is because you chose to
be on a bike, a more vulnerable position to be sure ,
but it was YOUR CHOICE. If you dont implicitly
understand this every time you throw a leg over a
saddle, you should, well, not ride I guess.....

> > Can
> > you say that this lady, say she's your mom or aunt
> or
> > sister, deserves the additional fallout becuase he
> was
> > on a bike?
>
> Yes, absolutely, 100%
> All road users have a duty of care to other road
> users. Saying it's his fault
> for being on a bike is blaming the victim. He would
> have been a lot smarter
> to wear a lid, but that was his decision alone to
> make and within the law of
> that state, just as his decision to ride and not
> take his car was his
> decision alone and within the law.

And this is were I drive my point home. It is exactly
the same arguement. Wear a helmet, not wear a helmet.
Ride a bike, drive a car. You are agreeing with my
point when you say that. Look, none of us wants to get
whacked by a car. Especially by some cell phone talkin
or make up puttin on moron. But the sad truth is that
they exist, as do the average motorist that can and
will make a mistake. I dont discount this persons
liability in the least. BUT, using the case of
Roethmoronberger, had he been in a car, he may have
walked away. Had he been wearing a helmet, his
injuries certainly would have been less severe. Now,
while it is easy to say that if you were that
moronberger, you would want the negligent driver to
pay for all of your medical expenses. But lets say you
are the person that hit him. Lets say you are a
reasonble person, of reasonable responsiblity and
sensibility, but like every other human on this
planet, you are capable of making a mistake. A
mistake, crossing in front of another's right of way,
in your cage, that causes an accident. An accident
that with another cage would mean every body walks.
But the other vehicle is a bike, and its occupant
doesnt walk, his injuries are more serious, because,
well, he was on a bike. Now lets say he wasnt wearing
a helmet, and so his injuries are even worse. Do you
feel you should be culpable for all of that? I sure
wouldnt, especially if you are a responsible person,
and the person you hit was, relatively, irresponsible
( not paying attention to were he was going ), willing
to assume some risks ( riding a motorcycle, by
definition) , and an idiot ( riding without a helmet).
I'm sorry, but in the particular case of moronberger,
I have to agree with Lawler. F--k him. But it is also
easy to argue the other point. Reckless driver hits
biker, biker is killed or maimed for life. That sucks
to. Actually, that sucks more.....but once again, if
you dont understand that you are assuming that risk
every time you get on a bike, you really need to. You
need to understand that the roads are for the most
part created and engineered to support cars and
trucks. The things they do for safety apply to cars
and trucks. Take guard rails for instance. Guard rails
are great for cars on twisty roads. Lose it, start
sliding, hit the guard rail and stop. Bend up some
metal, but dont go over the edge and fall a long
distance. Pain only to your wallet. Well, one of my
best riding buddies , still in the hospital with four
broken ribs and a collapsed lung, would just love to
tell you how great guard rails are for motorcyclists.
given the choice of the guard rail or the fall, I am
sure he would take door #2......

> > Does she deserve the additional fallout
> > because he is the Steeler's beloved QB? The death
> > threats she will likely receive?
>
> Certainly not. But perhaps, in a perverse way, this
> incident will make some
> drivers more aware of the need to look out for
> bikes?
>
> I wonder why he didn't refuse to wear a helmet at
> the Superbowl, though...

I am sure THAT was in his contract....

After all this, your original question, ( Were does it
end? ) is still unanswered. And there is no answer,
sadly.....