Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:05:17 -0700
From: Al Garvin <agarvin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ST] Idle problems

I have a 2000 ST with 60K miles on it. I don't like to take it to the
dealers (cost too much) so I have done all my own maintenance, but I
have run up against a problem that I haven't been able to fix.

The bike normally idles at 1100 rpm. After it gets warmed up, when I
pull up to a stop sign and down shift to 1'st and leave it in gear it is
idling at 1100-1200 rpm. But if I shift to neutral (with clutch in or
out) the idle jumps to 1800-1900 rpm. If I drop it back into first the
idle drops to 1400-1500. After I ride away from the stop, at the next
stop, the idle is back to 1100-1200. Bike has no problems at other
speeds. At first this would only happen occasionally, now it happens
almost every time I stop at a light. As I am down shifting through the
gears, when I pass neutral, I hear the rpm go up then back down when I
get to first.