[ST] Hugger Install...it wasn't THAT bad...

OK, so a while back I posted asking for feedback on installing the Triumph rear hugger on my 01. Lots of replies from folks strongly recommending removal of the rear tire. I figure I would post this so that it would go into the lovely archives for someone else to access. I appreciate everyone's feedback BTW.

  I will admit that the instructions for the installation are a bit quirky. For referrence, I have the panniers and did NOT remove the brakets. Installation did take some creative thinking. Removal of the stock chainguard was straightforward.  After realizing that, yes the hugger just slides right in over the rear tire, it places the rear brake line under chainguard--not a good idea in my mind. On my 01, I had just enough slack in the brake line to slide the hugger in from the left side--under the brake line. The hugger had enough flex to permit the snug install in this method. Don't get me wrong, it is tight and there is some binding on the tire, but not so tight that it is impossible nor did I fear I would crack it. Using the new hardware and all but one bolt from the stock chainguard, it was on. Total time, about 1 hour. I could do it again in half that time now that I know what process I employed.

  Not that bad actually. If the hugger was made of carbonfiber and of the exact dimensions, I think I would have to either remove the tire or pop the two plastic rivets out and replace them with stainless hardware (as suggested by one lister) to make the install.

  Thanks again for all the feedback.
  Todd