Re: [ST] Video the ride ?

I've just started down the same path. Here's what I've learned so far

- Bought fancy Panasonic 3CCD camcorder with optical image stabilation.
Beautiful colors and picture, EXCEPT when on a bike. The vibration totally
freaks out the optical image stabilization. Get a camera with the lesser
quality (but better for moto-video) electronic image stabilization. I ended
up with a Sony HC42 (about $400).

- Go for a mini-DV tape model. The ones that record direct to DVD don't like
bike vibes either.

- Get a SOLID camcorder mount. I tried using a RAM mount connected to my
Luggage Locker tank bag mounting ring (the "Cam Locker") and it sucked.
Putting a heavy camcorder at the end of a lever arm is a recipe for
disaster. I'd hit a small bump and the camera would bounce many times due to
the flex in the Luggage Locker mounting ring and "cam locker" adapter (both
plastic). Totally unusable video. I think a solid metal arm, mounted to the
gas cap bolts with a little rubber bumper or something to reduce bounce is
where you want to be if you like the typical "look through the windscreen"
perspective.

- So I went with my original, expensive "Plan A" - a helmet camera connected
to the camcorder in a tankbag. The helmet cam perspective is nice since you
don't see the gauges, but you lose the sense of lean angle. The other
(possible) downside is that it films where you look. Great for recording
scenery on the side of the road but bad when you do a simple mirror check
(video "wobbles").

- It's nice having the camcorder in the tankbag, but how do you control it?
You buy a camcorder with a "LANC" port and then buy a $60 remote control
button that nicely hangs out of the tankbag. Lets you turn the camcorder
on/off and kick in/out of record mode once the camera is on. Easy to use on
the fly, even with gloves.

- The helmet camera takes EIGHT freaking double A batteries. You get no
warning when they die and you are no longer recording anything. Wire it up
to the bike (project pending).

- I think the flexibility to mount the bullet camera other spots on the bike
is cool. I experimented with mounting it under the nose of my Sprint and
that looked good, but then I lost all the real riding video I took that way
due to the damn batteries dying just after I left home.

So right now I'm still experimenting, trying to get a system that's easy to
use and records interesting video of the many great roads in my region. Hope
this helps...

Garry