Re: [ST] Tire Pressures

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Joel Ashman wrote:

> On an interestingly related side bar, I just learned an interesting method
> to set your tire pressure (on a car/truck).  Drive the vehicle for  30-60
> minutes.  Then use a infrared spot thermometer and measure the temperature
> across the width of the tire.  If the outside edges are hotter than the
> inside of the tire, the pressure is too low. If the center of the tire is
> hotter than the outside edges, then the pressure is to high.  If the center
> temperature and the edge temperatures are within 2 degrees (or so) then the
> pressure is just right.

Heya Joel,

Similarly on the bike, you ride for a bit and take a pressure reading.  I
think we're looking for a pressure rise of about 3-4 psi (or around 10%?)
when the tires are warmed up IIRC.  But then those other variables such as
tire wear and contact patch manipulation enter into what you want to do.

FWIW,
--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\