Re: [ST] Wrap-up of Roethlis-Helmets

And how does that logic apply to the single color Shoei, Arai, Suomy?

My non-scientific methodology for helmet selection includes paying
attention to the brands and models of helmets moto-journalists use.
Watching racers as well, but that's a bit muddied by sponsorship.
However, I don't see too many of the cheaper helmets "donated" to
racers.

The other main part of the selection process is fit.  Since I'm blessed
with the long-oval (football) shaped head, most of the cheaper helmets
are cast in the round-oval shape, pressing uncomfortably on my forehead
and rocking side to side easily.  Arai Quantums fit me perfectly,
however the padding and eyebrow vents give me a claustrophobic feeling.
My Shoei ZII is nearly perfect fit, the shield can be changed in
seconds, even while wearing it, and the interior padding completely
removes for cleaning.  I spent extra for graphics, although not
racer-replica.

I've tried on cheaper helmets and they felt...cheap, fit aside.  I can't
speak to their ability to protect versus the more expensive brands, but
a helmet that isn't comfortable and convenient isn't as likely to be
worn.  And I tend to take long trips, where a marginal helmet wouldn't
work.

The most recent review of helmets in Rider magazine showed you could get
several good choices for under $200.  As the prices rose, the features
improved and wind noise decreased, in general.

Find a DOT, Snell, Euro rated helmet that fits comfortably, vents well,
changes shields easily and can be easily cleaned, damn the price!

$.02

Jeremy Witt
Newbury Partners
(o) 603-893-3022