Re: [ST] Old bikes, was: Running in NEU

On Friday 10 March 2006 00:08, you wrote:
> Eoin - you must have had the GP100U as it had the front disc - I know
> since this was my first bike also (bought new in 1981 or so).  While I
> agree it was a crap bike,  I used to go all over on that bike and as it
> was my first vehicle it was great to be able to finally get out and about
> on my own.

Well - I was 23 when I got mine (late developer :) and had to wait until I was
25 to get a licence over 125cc under the law at the time (the only other way
was to pass the test and wait 2 years. So if you were 23 there was no point
taking the test, you'd get the over-125 licence no sooner. Daft or what!)

The 100cc was significantly cheaper to insure than the 125 version - bike
insurance in Ireland has always been extortionate. A 125 barrel and piston
would fit, but I never did get around to doing that mod :)

I wouldn't say it was crap by the standards of the time, and by what it cost
(and what I could afford.) It had had several uncaring owners over its nine
years though, before me, I more or less rebuilt the whole bike over 18 months
before I sold it. Not a bad education I suppose. Paying a mechanic to work on
it was out of the question...

I think most of us retain a soft spot for our first bike, no matter what it
was. Mine was fun to ride if you weren't in a hurry, it was daylight, the
wind was behind you and there wasn't any traffic on your tail... Struggling
at 40mph flat-out into a strong headwind with a trail of impatient cagers
behind you and that crappy headlamp to see by, was less than fun!

I did see 70mph on the clock once - just before burning a hole in the
piston...

Apart from doing the timing, another awkward job was adjusting the clutch
actuating lever - mine always either dragged or slipped no matter what I did
so I decided on slight dragging!

Eoin.

'04 ST955i
'90 GPz900R