Re: [ST] Tiedown approach?

When I bought my 01, I hauled it 200 mi on the uhaul m-cycle specific trailer. I used tie downs on the bar ends to reduce the chances of my bodywork from rubbing for the front. On the bar ends, I used some of those loops specifically made for this, but not the ones called Canyon Dancers. On the rest of the bike, I used some older sewn webbing runners from my rock climbing bag to attach to the grab handle for the rear. AND I used another set of sewn runners for attaching to the frame at about mid point to give additional forward pull. The attachment points on the m-c trailer were pretty obvious. All of this was done with the bike only on the wheels (no sidestand or centerstand support) with compressed suspension.

On the open garden trailer, make certain you chock the front wheel since it can really hop around.

  Happy hauling,
  TJ

Kevin Stevens <triumph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have to trailer my '01 ST about 200 miles tomorrow, and I'm not
experienced in tying down, though I get the basic concept and have
general guides to work from. I thought I was going to be able to
loop the lower fork clamps and come out beneath the failring, but
that looks like it might not clear the lower edge of the fairing.
The alternate looks like looping around the bar risers, just next to
the fork tubes - but I've heard not to attach to the bars, and then
I'm not sure if I'll clear the TOP of the fairing. I have plenty of
tie-downs and strapping, but no Canyon-Dancer or similar specialty
items. This is going on a U-Haul 5x9' open ramp trailer, and the tie-
down points are in the very front corners, to give an idea of the
angles. I don't have the trailer yet, which is why I'm not sure what
interference I'm likely to see.

All suggestions appreciated, by both me and the bike!

KeS