Re: [ST] Tiedown approach?

Ok, here's the scoop - good news and bad news.

First, the person who posted that the front tire would bounce all
around without a wheel chock was right, as was the person who
commented about them deforming the grips.  I "lost" the front wheel
twice during the trip, once to each side about 45 degrees.  In both
cases it looked like the rear wheel had bounced over one track, and
was therefore pulling off-center.  The rear was pulled forward to the
same tie points as the front wheel, as my only other choice was to
pull to the rear corners, and doing so kept the front from being hard
against the front wall.

However, the bike didn't go down (or even close to it) either time, I
just had to stop, loosen, and re-tighten.  The *overall* problem was
simply not being able to get the front end strapped down hard enough
without bottoming the suspension - that was the limiting factor in
how secure everything was, whether it was the Canyon Dancer or
hooking to the triple tree, or the rear ties.

According to the official BMW trailering guide, they say screw it
with tying down to sprung parts, loop around the top of the fork
brace, and just nail the wheel/tire down, then let the bike bounce
around on top of that as it will.  Must be a Telelever thing.

However, I can vouch that it works, because the K1200RS I brought
home in exchange for the Sprint didn't move an inch the whole trip!
(ducking for cover)

Yes, I now own one of the world's fastest banana slugs!  (http://
www.wolfbmw.com/graphics/used/98k1200rs.jpg)

KeS