Re: [ST] Jump starting

Your question is probably going to spark quite a bit of debate, there
are other procedures that reduce the chances of problems, and even if
you violate every rule, you'll probably get away with it, but..........

The best way to jump start a motorcycle using a car's battery is as
follows:

1.  With both vehicles off, connect jumper cables, making the ground
connection to the donor vehicle last, and making that connection
somewhere else besides the ground terminal of the battery.

2.  Leave the car off.

3.  Turn on bike ignition & hit starter button.

4.  Let bike run for awhile once it has started (hopefully it will
charge enough to start the motor on its own)

5.  Turn off bike

6.  Disconnect jumpers.

7.  Try re-starting bike on it's own.  If it starts, go for a long ride
and/or somewhere where you can hook up a decent charger

If you follow these steps there is, in my opinion, no possible way that
the electrical systems on either the bike or the car can possibly be
damaged.

PS.  The Sprint's headlights are turned off while the starter is
activated, but if you're still worried about the battery drain that
occurs after the key is turned on, remove the fuse first.

Neil