Re: [ST] Jump starting

Mike --

The reason I indicated disconnecting the jumpers after turning off the
bike is because it has been suggested that there is still a small
possibility of causing damage to the bike's charging system if you
disconnect while the bike is running.  I'm not sure I agree with this,
but my procedure eliminates the possibility altogether.

Besides, it really shouldn't take long to build up enough charge on the
bike's battery to enable it to start the bike on it's own.  And it's
easy enough to repeat the procedure a second time if need be.  But if a
second attempt fails, THEN I'd do what you suggest, and disconnect the
jumpers while the bike is still running (donor ground first).

Regarding the pause before starting the bike --

What you say is true, but I think the jumper cable load reduction will
be small compared to the starting current itself, and besides, do we
really care?  Either the bike starts or it doesn't.  Chances are good
that it will, even without the pause.  Electrical damage is not an issue
here.  I'm also assuming that a heavy gauge set of jumper cables are
being used.

Finally --

I think if it were me, I'd want to test the bike's restart capability
before going for a ride rather than risking being stranded again
somewhere else (e.g. maybe the battery is toast after all).