Re: [ST] 955 motor

On 3/24/06, buellrydr1@xxxxxxx <buellrydr1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had heard that some early Sprints had valve seal issues.Mine was one and used lots of oil.I changed out the head for one I had had ported,with new valve job and seals,seems to have done the trick.I would find out the exact problem before getting carried away.Doing head swap was not bad.Had the valves adjusted on the bench before putting head on.Good luck,Jim.

Jim,
Where did you hear this?

The only problem I have with my ST (1999, 41K) is that is uses more
oil than I would like. I think I use about 1.5-2 quarts per 6K miles.
This
http://www.rgalea.com/bikes/st/reliability.html
does suggest it got better after 99.

I believe the service limit is 1 quart per 1K miles and the bike runs
fine. However I did not expect this with a modern engine. I have often
wondered what it would cost to replace the valve seals and how hard
the job would be.
Rupert