From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Wetherington
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 9:15 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Bike to Bike Communication

It used to be that Autocomm was a slightly better choice than Starcom,
but was more expensive.  When I got my Starcom (about 1 yr ago), the
main problem with it was a lack of sidetones (when you hear yourself in
the speakers as you talk).  This has now been adressed, as there is a
newer version of the Starcom available.
I'm using a Motorola T6500 FRS/GMRS radio, and really haven't tested
range, but it has worked well.

So now I have no clue which is a better option.  Autocom is supposed to
be the absolute best, but is slightly more expensive (depending, of
course, on the options you need).

As for where to get it from, I bought my Starcom from Kieth Curry of
Corsa Strada http://www.corsastrada.com/

If you call, Kieth will most likely answer the phone, and was very
helpful with all of my questions.  Sometimes he's hard to contact by
phone, but he returned every one of my calls.  Shipping was prompt.

Dan

>>> agarvin@xxxxxxxxxx 3/26/2006 10:41 PM >>>
A buddy of mine and I are going to be riding back to Tennessee in May
from California. We are looking for the best bike to bike communicator

system we can find at a reasonable cost. ($300-$400). I have ruled out

Chatterbox, had one and it was a POS. We are looking at Autocom and
Starcom. Both recommend Kenwood Freetalk  FRS (1-2 mile range) or GMRS

1W or 2W for longer range. I plan to hook a XM radio and a GPS to the
unit in addition to the Bike to bike radio. I would like to hear
recommendations from real world users. What we are looking for most is

dependability. We want it to work before we leave and don't want to
have
to fine tune it on the way. I am planning on using a PTT instead of VOX

setup. We will both be riding solo so we don't need pillion capability.

I am wondering if we need 2W radios. The cost goes up from $80 for FRS

to 250-300 for 2W GMRS. I don't expect we will me much farther that a
mile apart most of the time.
Does anyone have any experience with these two systems? Or know the
best
place to buy a couple of units?
Thanks,
Al Garvin