Re: [ST] How tight is too tight?

Rick

Factory Owner's Handbook page 61: ST (shows SSSA in picture, reads:
35-40mm in two places)
Page 62: RS (shows DSSA in picture, reads 25-35mm in two places).

Part number for Handbook is: 3850901 Issue 1.

It also says: "Checking, adjustment and lubrication of the drive chain
must be carried out with the motorcycle set up on a paddock stand so
that the rear suspension hangs free." - I thought paddock stands left
load on the rear suspension.

I agree with your resume of the Factory  Service Manual (Mine: Part No
3850760 Issue 3, 10.99) BUT Page 11.13 repeats 35-40mm for ST (showing
SSSA in picture) but makes no mention of slack on Page 11.14 where it
deals with the RS and DSSA (as if it may have been overlooked).

HTH

Chris Harwood
00 RS needing new chain

Dan wrote:
>There are actually two different specs listed, depending on whether
you've got a single sided swingarm or not.  The manual states 35-40mm
(1.4-1.6in) for the SSSA (on centerstand?) and 25-30mm (1-1.4in) for
DSSA versions.  Both of these are with the bike unloaded...<

I recall that there were different specs published(?)for the ST & RS
w/DSSA, perhaps in earlier editions, some of which are known to have
typos.  On the specifications page 1.14 and in the rear suspension
section on pg. 11.13, my shop manual (issue 3, 10/99) lists 35-40mm
(suspension unladen) for both models.  If you have a factory
publication showing a different specification for the DSSA RS, please
post it with chapter & verse as above.  It would be nice to put this
matter to rest. Thx.
--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST