Re: [ST] How tight is too tight?

Chris Harwood wrote:
> Factory Owner's Handbook page 61: ST (shows SSSA in picture, reads:
35-40mm in two places).  Page 62: RS (shows DSSA in picture, reads
25-35mm in two places).  Part number for Handbook is: 3850901 Issue
1.<

I knew I'd seen it somewhere.  I'm inclined to believe the owners
manual.  Does anyone have a shop manual with a newer release date than
10/99?  Better yet, anyone have a contact at Triumph for
clarification?

> It also says: "Checking, adjustment and lubrication of the drive
chain must be carried out with the motorcycle set up on a paddock
stand so that the rear suspension hangs free." - I thought paddock
stands left load on the rear suspension. <

I just measured my chain slack with the bike on the center stand and
then on the side stand.  The measurements were the same.

>I agree with your resume of the Factory Service Manual (Mine: Part No
3850760 Issue 3, 10.99) BUT Page 11.13 repeats 35-40mm for ST (showing
SSSA in picture) but makes no mention of slack on Page 11.14 where it
deals with the RS and DSSA (as if it may have been overlooked).<

I'm beginning to think your assumption is correct

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST